Friday 1 April 2011

Lay it on ya Lasagna

This is my Mom's recipe, and all my life whenever my Ma made this, my Dad would call it "Lay it on ya Lasagna" So it's stuck and everytime I think of lasagna - I think of that little slogan :)

My husband has been asking me for the last few weeks to make lasagna, so I finally got around to making it last Sunday. Baby wants lasagna - Baby gets lasagna! Haha!


Approx. 6 cups Spaghetti Sauce (either canned or homemade)
Lasagna noodles (about 3/4 of a box for a 9x13 pan)
2 cups shredded marble cheese
2/3 cup ricotta cheese

(I make my spaghetti sauce from scratch and I use the following: 2 medium sized cans tomato sauce, 1/2 large onion, 1 cup sliced mushrooms and 1 pkg. extra lean ground beef and different seasonings)

I start off by making a spaghetti sauce. First I cook the hamburger meat in a frying pan, then I add diced onion and cook for a couple minutes. I pour about 2 medium sized cans of tomato sauce into a large pot on the stove (set the burner to low). I add the hamburger meat and onions, then the mushrooms. Add a little salt and pepper, and seasoning of your choice (I use italian herbs, garlic powder, basil and oregano). Then cover and let it simmer for a couple hours, stirring every now and then.

When the spaghetti sauce is almost done, boil the lasagna noodles to al dente.

Spray a 9x13 pan with pam and once the noodles are drained, lay 4 noodles down lengthwise across the bottom, then trim another noodle and cover the empty space running width wise along the bottom of the other noodles. Top those with about 2 cups of sauce, drop bits of ricotta cheese along the top of the sauce, and add about 1/3 cup shredded marble cheese. Top that with another layer of noodles, sauce and cheese, and then add the last layer. You can add a little extra cheese on top if you like cheese (we sure do)!

Bake in the oven at 325 F. for 45 minutes loosely covered in tinfoil. After 45 mins, uncover and brown for about 30 more minutes.

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment